Monday, January 28, 2013

Happiness Project - Third Post!!!

Once you have accepted that there are things in life which you simply cannot change, you need to focus on the things you can change to make you happier. You're going to need to be very frank with yourself and others here, because we're about to break a few traditional social rules in half here.

"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. You need courage to hold on to happiness."

I always like to look to Momoko when it comes to finding happiness. She was strong enough to cast aside society's requirements and make herself happy in her own way. I'm not saying you should push away all friendships, cheat your father out of money, or eat only sweet things, however there is still a lesson to be learned there.

A common phrase that many hear often is "Money cannot buy you happiness." The trouble with that phrase is that in this day and age, money really kind of can. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not that shallow and I know that money can't buy friendship, true love, a good personality, or wisdom. However, money can buy you beloved lolita dresses, your favorite foods, a roof over your head, and a phone to communicate with all those friends. The fact of the matter is, a certain amount of money is necessary to facilitate happiness. You may feel like you never have enough money, but this is where your power to change comes in.We can always change our financial standings, if we're motivated and smart. It's not going to happen overnight, but the rewards are always so much sweeter when you have to wait for them. It may well be worth it to go to college for that higher paying job, or to quit paying for college to go into a job field where a college degree is unnecessary. They keep saying the job market is in the toilet, jobs are impossible to find, etc etc. I have people every day who tell me how they have been searching for a job for ages and found nothing.

-beep-beep-beep-
Prepare for a bit of a rant here. Unforunately, most people in America have no idea how to live within their means and, especially when it comes to job searching, tend to be a little high on their horse. Many people won't take lower paying jobs, even though some money is better than no money. When it comes to job searching, I know that laziness sets in a lot, trust me, I've been there and done that, then realized I really wasn't trying as hard as I could have been. That's the time when you shine those shoes, put on your nicest dress and do your hair up, even if you're just going to apply at the local dollar store. Stand out in a radiantly good way as soon as you walk in the door. You want everything about you to just scream, "I really want to be an exemplary employee for your company!" I have absolutely no issue finding jobs because I know what it takes. Don't be afraid of a little hard labor, either. Prince Right got himself all dressed up in a suit and tie and went down to the employment agency and landed himself a job in one day, making twice what he had in his other job. Why had he gotten this job? Because two other guys passed up on the job because they hadn't wanted to do factory labor, or wanted something that paid more. He then proceeded to get other job offers from other places he had applied at that day. My point is, so long as you try hard enough, there is not excuse. 
And if for any reason you cannot get a job, perhaps because of limitations due to your health, there are always other options. The craft world is booming right now, and so if you have any creative skills, you can certainly make money selling your wares. If you are too young, talk with any family members or parents' friends who have children. Most parents are always happy to hire a babysitter so that they can enjoy an evening out. Kids are delightful to spend time with if you handle them correctly, and so giving up your Friday or Saturday night can actually be fun! Just make sure you know all the proper emergency procedures and ask your parents to take you to a CPR certification class. If you are a well-qualified sitter, you can even put up posters to babysit around town, and when you're older, all those references can be very convenient if you wish to find a job at a daycare center.

At the end of the day, you need to decide how much money you need to help you along towards happiness. There is nothing wrong with loving "things" or being a little materialistic, so perhaps you may need a bit more money in your life than the person who is less "thing" focused.

It would also be wise to look at your relationships. I may seem a little cold to some people when I say that when a person stops making me happy, or we just aren't as compatible anymore, I don't continue to include them in my life. This has nothing to do with how often I keep them in my life. One of my best friends and I do not get to see each other very often, but she is still one of my best of friends. But so many people cling to lovers and friends who are damaging. These can be negative people who ruin your good mood, people who leech money from you constantly, or worst of all, people who actually abuse others. I cannot tell you how to find the strength to rid your life of these people, you must do it on your own. But I can assure you that once you do, it will be that much easier to surround yourself with positive people who will lift you up and you will lift them in return with your beautiful smile!







No comments:

Post a Comment